Sunday, November 22, 2009

Short, but Informative

This is going to be a very short post, but since I have been chastised by my cousin Pat for not posting, I thought I had better. My last post was one of frustration but now things are now looking up. I'm waiting for a call from my insurance agent so I can make a claim for the damage caused by the power surge.

After the TV went out and I had to purchase a new one, I had to order a TV cabinet. It came Friday and I put it together yesterday. It is really quite nice but it is darker then our other furniture. I ordered light oak but light oak now is different than light oak of 15 years ago. Betty says we have to rearrange the furniture so the contrast isn't so obvious. A minor inconvenience.

Tuesday I pick up the new wall oven which is a blessing because we are having people over for Thanksgiving. Normally, we have anywhere from 12 to 20 people, but this year there is only going to be 9, counting Betty and I. Quite a few of our friends that usually join us are going to have family, or are visiting family, this year, which is really great. But because this has been a traditional event every year for the past 6 years, we are going to have a dessert gathering on Saturday night for all our friends that won't be with us on Thanksgiving, as well as, those that will. As I said in the invitations, "Why waste a clean house?" What is really nice about having Thanksgiving with our friends is everyone brings their favorite Thanksgiving dish to share. So, Betty and I furnish the turkey, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce and a vegetable (this year sweet and sour beets), and of course, the drinks. The ladies asked for Sangria, which if I do say so myself, I make a dynamic Sangria. I am also making a wonderful apple pie (ask Frances to comment on it) and Betty is making Cranberry Pretzel Salad. I am frying one turkey and when I wasn't sure about having an oven, I was going to bar-b-que another. But, since I will have an oven, I will just roast it. One of our friends that normally comes makes a wonderful dressing, but since she won't be here, it falls to Betty and I, so Betty is going to make the dressing.

For Saturday night, we will have leftover turkey, for sandwiches, and any other leftovers. I will also be making a Pumpkin-Gingerbread Trifle, and of course, whatever anyone else brings. As you can see, we don't starve when we have a get together!

Well, I'll close this for now, but I promise to keep you up to date with our "happenings". I'll also post pictures of the gatherings.

3 comments:

  1. WELL, WELL...wonders never cease...TWO posts in a row. Congratulations. The pumpkin-gingerbread trifle sounds yummy, but the sweet and sour beets??? YUK...hate beets. Way to go Betty, your cranberry pretzel salad is so good, I've had it before, as a friend of mine made it some time ago for a luncheon we had.
    Hey Frances, is his apple pie really good or is he just bragging? : )
    Like your comment on "why waste a clean house"..
    My kind of people.
    In closing, have a great Thanksgiving.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, How come I'm the only one commenting???????
    Come on guys, let's hear from you. Can't be THAT busy.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SATURDAY, 11/28

    WHAT A BUNCH OF PARTY POOPERS........!!!!!!

    C.P.

    ReplyDelete