Thursday, November 19, 2009

What A Month!!!

Can you believe it, it's been over a month since my last post and I'll tell you, a lot has happened. I'm going to keep this short because I have a lot to do today, and there will be no pictures, but I'll get back into the swing of things soon, I promise!!!

Anyway, I'm going to tell you my sad stories for the past month. We have very unstable power where we live and have quite a few power outages. Being aware of this, I, of course, had my computer plugged into a surge protector, but even that won't help when you have numerous power outages. Anyway, I had downloaded an update to Vista and I didn't like it, so I was going to reset my computer to a previous date and get rid of it. When I reset the "start point", my computer would not boot up, or recognize any peripherals. I suspected the motherboard but of course, was hoping it wasn't. Wrong!!! Since I no longer had the tools to check these things out, I took it to a shop and sure enough, it was the motherboard. What did that mean? It meant a new computer. So I purchased a new computer and also a UPS system to protect it. Talk about closing the barn door after the horse it out! The good thing is I now have a faster machine and Windows 7. I know there are "Mac snobs" out there, but I have to tell you, having worked in a business environment, and having peers that instructed service personnel on the Apple computers (Kodak used to service for Apple) and hearing the "war stories" about them, I'll stick with Windows, thank you very much.

There is an old saying, "Everything happens in threes!" It is a truism for sure. Right after my computer went out, the control panel on our wall oven decided to fail. I have replaced the control panel before, so I ordered a new one, and replaced the old. Well, it worked perfectly .... for about 5 minutes, and then the new one failed. Being an electronic devise, no warranty on the part, so there has to be a short in the oven somewhere. What does that mean, a new wall oven. Then, as I was commiserating about the oven, I turned on the tv, and all of a sudden the picture goes bananas. It can't be fixed so now we need a new tv also.

So, to make a long story short, Betty and my Christmas presents will be a wall oven, tv and the computer. We got the computer and we purchased the tv yesterday, and I'm going to order the wall oven today. Luckily, even though we are going to have a house full for Thanksgiving, the only thing I need the oven for is an apple pie and the dressing, so I'll use our friends ovens for them. I'm going to fry one turkey and bar-b-que the other.

Well, that concludes my tale of woe for today. I promise to be more cheerful on my next post.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Well hopefully three is all you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PROMISES...PROMISES...How could we NOT believe that it's been OVER a month since your last post.
    I'd been looking about every two days, then three days and finally gave up. HOWEVER, I'm glad you're back.
    Sorry about all of your misfortunes. It always seems as if "things" happen around Christmas. I know, as not only all of my expenses come due this time of year, but I had to purchase a new washer on top of it. WOW, has the price gone up since the last one I bought. All I can say is I'm glad the old one lasted as long as it did.
    It looks like this is the Christmas for appliances, doesn't it. My grandson just heard that his offer on a house was accepted and they need appliances...So, I guess that means Grandma will be buying them an appliance as a Christmas gift.
    In closing, I hope your misfortunes STOP at three.
    Now,stay on track and keep us posted, okay?
    Hugs to you both.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete