Thursday, April 28, 2011

Back to Nature

Today I just wanted to share a couple of photos I took from our enclosed porch. Sometimes when I look out the sliding door I am amazed at what I see. But, by the time I get my camera out, what I want a photo of has long gone. As you can see by the photos on today's post, that did not happen these times. Most likely because I kept my camera in a handier location. So, here we go!

This Osprey, a member of the hawk family, hunts behind our house frequently. He sits on the post rails and watches until he sees a small rodent, or something else, then swoops down for the capture. A small bird but very majestic.


Small but beautiful!

Surveying it's realm!

may moons ago I shared a photo of an Anhinga, better known a the snake-bird. The reason for the name snake-bird is because of the way it looks while after a meal. It has no oil in it's feathers, like other aquatic birds, so when it is in the water all you can see is the neck and head. After it has finished hunting, it must stand in the sun with it's wings extended to dry them out. It is only after they have dried it is able to fly. Well, the other day I was on the deck and there was an Anhinga sunning itself after hunting. In actuality, it sunned itself about 15 minutes before it flew off. The following photos show what I explained above.


Snake-bird. You can see why it got the nickname.


"Ah!! That sun feels great on my back!"

Just a little longer an' I'm Outta' here!

That's enough nature for today. As you can see, we live in an area where nature is an integal part of our lives and there is always something to see in nature, whether animals, fantastic skies, or even tremendous storms. So until next time, I hope you enjoyed our little trip into the bird arena.

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures and story behind them keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. wrote a comment and it won't post.

    THIS IS A TEST BEFORE I START FROM SQUARE ONE AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HERE WE GO AGAIN.....SEE IF THIS ONE WILL POST.
    Hey, maybe it didn't post because I REALLY gave you heck...think?

    Well, you don't turn on your computer for a day of so and when you do....MAGIC HAPPENS...Fred posted...

    All I can say is your ego needs to be bruised. You deserved it. We go onto your blog almost daily and NO POST..This has been going on for SIXTY-SEVEN DAYS. YEP, THAT'S RIGHT 67 DAYS, since February 16th. You do the math. Therefore I've only been checking, maybe each week or so.

    Anyway, welcome back.

    Your last two posted are very interesting and hope you do better in the future. At least post once a week to let us know you're still with us okay? : )

    C.P.

    ReplyDelete