Wednesday, May 4, 2011

????

It has been quite sometime since I started posting and sharing photos, and to be honest with you, I can't remember all of the photos I've shared with you. So as I go forward with my postings if you happen to remember seeing a photo I may have previously posted, just chalk it up to "old age" and enjoy the moment again. o that end, I'm going to post more family photos.

As stated above, I don't remember all of my posts and I'm not going to go back to see what I did post. However, I don't really think I had very many photos of my father so today I'm going to concentrate on him. Those of you who knew him personally might say he was a "gruff, old man", but in reality, he really was s softy. He really loved his grand kids and had nick-names for most of them. Some of the names where not the most flattering but they were all his way of saying how much he cared about the individual. The only two I remember are the ones he had for my sister Doris, "Pickle-puss", and her daughters, Jennifer, "Big Red", and Jacki, "Cracker-Ass" (sorry you three but I just HAD to let everyone know----). Other than the nick-names, he didn't show much emotion with any of us. Therefore, when I came across the photos below, I had to share them so if you did know him, or if you didn't, you would see how he really did interface with his family.


Pop playing (teasing perhaps) Daryl. We did not live very close to Lolo and Pop so our kids were not around them much. In fact, based on Daryl's age at the time of this photo, this may have been one of the first times Pop had interacted with Daryl.

Amy was the last grandchild so I think Pop had a special feeling about her. He changed her diaper when she was only three months old, we were told he had never changed any of his grand kids diaper before, and it was a big mess. But her at least gave it his best shot.

Amy really loved her Grandpa!

You can tell he was a good man because her loved the dogs. Charlie was his dog and Popo, the one lying down was Daryl's. Charlie was from South Carolina because Betty and I got her when I was in training at Ft Gordon, in Georgia. However, when we returned to Santa Paula prior to going to Panama, Pop adopted her so she became his dog. This photo was taken at Lolo and Pop's "rock house" in St George.


Pop as a senior in high school. Check out the "letter-man's sweater" from Santa Paula High. He played baseball and tennis for the Cardinals.


Pop's graduation picture in 1924.
Gee, he graduated from Santa Paula High only 37 years prior to me.

This was taken in October of 1942, a year prior to my birth. Pop was not allowed to enlist during the was because he was considered to work in a critical industry, e.e., citrus. So, he became an air-raid warden which is the "uniform" he is wearing.


Lolo and Pop's 50TH Anniversary Photo.

That's all for today, and if you had seen some of these photos before, I hope you enjoyed them again. Until next time, have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. I see you are back doing a good job I like the tales of your dad and the pictures keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete