Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

I started this post early this morning but was having problems loading photos so I had to resume later. Better late than never, I guess.


I know, yesterday was Mother's Day but today is the day I decided to acknowledge it. Obviously, Betty didn't have our kids close by to spend with her on Mother's Day, however, both called and talked with her at great length.

And how did we celebrate the day you might ask. Well, I was going to do whatever Betty wanted to so we stayed home and just relaxed. I needed to get some "cramp medicine", so I went to the store but that was about it. I purchased some ribs, as I know Betty really likes them, so when I returned home I told Betty I was going to have ribs for dinner. Now you have to realize Betty only eats about one meal a day and when she is hungry, well, I need to feed her. So she informed me she would rather have the pork chops I had already thawed, which was alright with me. That was alright with me because I could tell she was hungry right then. So I cooked one of her favorite meals, i.e., pork chops (she like good bacon also), fried potatoes, fried eggs and toast from homemade bread. We both love this meal so it was special for Mother's Day also. And, since it was only 1:30 pm, I knew I wouldn't have to cook again. As you know, I love to cook and try new recipes, but the tried and true simple fare is what we enjoy the most - bacon, eggs, and potatoes; beans with tortillas or cornbread; top-hat - and things like that.

I thought I would honor Betty and Mother's Day by sharing photos of the mother's in our life. You may have seen some of these photos before but again it's nice to revisit them. So here goes:

Many years ago:

My great Grandparents Mandeville with my Grandmother Fannie on the left and my Great Aunt Jeannie

My Great Grandparents Dupres with their girls. If I have my facts right, my Grandmother is standing on the right and my Cousin Pat's (C.P.) mother is the little girls standing on the chair.


Grandma Hitchcock - my father's mother.


My father with his sister's and Grandma Hitchcock. The sister with her arm around his neck is Aunt Lois and the my Aunt Ruth is on Grandma's left.


Grandma Madge, my mother's mother and C.P.'s aunt.



My mother with Grandpa Fred and Grandma Madge.


One of my mother's school photos. She taught for 20 some years, and never made it past the 3rd grade.


Lolo in a later photo.

Betty's mother, Myrtle.

Time for coffee with Myrtle and Betty.


My lady and I cutting our cake at our reception.
(She's feeding it to me in the heading photo)

With the "kids" in the snow at the Grand Canyon.

My lady and I - 45 years later.

What a history of mothers. It can't get any better than that and I hope you enjoyed traveling with me through time honoring the mothers in Betty and my life.

Until next time.



1 comment: