Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Want an Update? If so, read on.

I started this update yesterday, however, I just "ran out of gas" I guess, because I obviously didn't finish it. Hopefully, today will be better and I'll get it done.

I was released from the hospital on Thursday of last week but to be honest with you, I haven't felt like doing much. It is really great having Daryl here as he is taking on a lot of responsibility. Saturday night, our friends wanted to go to dinner so Daryl took Betty while I stayed home. She needed to go and there was no way I was going to take her, so he "bit the bullet", so to speak, and went with all those old people. Talk about a martyr! But now let me give you an update of my"procedure".

As I wrote in a previous post, Dr Wang gave me a DVD to watch which explained what was going to happen. Well, let me tell you, it was the old "bait and switch" gambit. The DVD explained they would give me anesthesia to relax but I would be cognizant to what was going on. In addition, the DVD explained how the procedure would be done by going through a vein in the groin, either side, or through a vein in the neck. Well, let me tell you that was not the case. The first clue was when the anesthesiologist was talking to me in the prep room. When he started asking if I had ever been completely "knocked out" with anesthesia, and if I had ever had a breathing tube, I knew the DVD was just a ploy. After the anesthesiologist left, I asked the nurse about being "knocked out" and she said because the procedure can take some time, and the table I would be lying on was very uncomfortable, it was standard procedure to be "knocked out". The next clue that the DVD was a ploy was when the nurse came in to finish the prep. She had to shave the groin area, which is also done for a stent, so no big deal. However, after she shaved the right side, she started on the left, and when I asked if that was because Dr Wang hadn't specified which side he would use, she reply "Oh, no. They will be going in both sides and your neck." Hello, McFly, I didn't sign up for this!!! After they finished prepping me, which included all kinds of pads for connecting to the monitoring equipment, off we went to the operating theater. The nurses asked if I could walk to the table as there was so much equipment it would be easier than trying to get the bed into the room also. I asked if I would need to walk out after the procedure, they just said "no way!". The last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist asking if I was attached to the equipment and the response of "..almost complete". The anesthesiologist then told me he was going to give me a little something to relax. The next thing I remember was being in my room with Betty and Daryl, and that was about 4 1/2 hours later. Both of them later told me a lot had transpired in the room after I returned but I don't remember any of it. Dr Wang had come in and talked with them, explaining what had been done, and they said I talked with Amy via Daryl's phone, and although I remember the conversation, I thought it took place the night before. Being "knocked out" is the pits! Also, here it is over a week later, and I'm still feeling the effects of the anesthesia. Mary, Dr Marini's nurse, said it can take up to three months for the effects of the anesthesia to wear off completely.

I do have to say, even though I don't have a lot of energy yet, and I sometimes get a little short of breath, every day it gets better. Having Daryl here is a Godsend, and Betty is so supportive of me taking it easy and just getting better. I know Daryl has to be "bored out of his mind" as we don't lead the most exciting life, but I'm sure glad he was able to come help out.

Hey, it looks as if I accomplished writing this post. I'll close for now but keep coming back, as you may be surprised by a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment