Sunday, October 18, 2009

More Family History

Today, I'm going back to some family history on my mother's side. My cousin Pat (she signs her comments as C.P.) sent me a photo which goes back a few years. I want to share this photo with you and perhaps even clarify some relationships with some of the newer followers of this blog. So, let's get started with the photo and see where it takes us.


The Duprees
This is my grandmother Madge's family and also Pat's mother's family. It has my Great-Grandfather Henry and Great-Grandmother Lida Jan (maiden name Sperry). The young lady standing on the right of the picture is my Grandmother Madge, and the girl standing on the opposite side is my Great-Aunt Gladys (she died at childbirth) and standing on the chair with her mother is my Great-Aunt Mary, Pat's mother.


Asher Sperry
I have posted this photo before but I wanted to show the relationship with the above photo. This is a portion of the document showing the war record of Asher Sperry during the Civil War. Asher Sperry was my Great-Great-Grandfather, Pat's Great-Grandfather and the father of Lida Jan.


Grandma Madge


My Great-Aunt Mary, Pat's mother

I hope I have been able to clarify the relationships if you were previously confused. I have to say I really enjoy the old photos and following the linage, and I hope you do as well.

4 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, everyone. Ugly and gray here today. Expecting rain again tomorrow, but not like we had last week, thank goodness. Glad to see you received the photo. Great photo, don't 'ya think? I love it. I also love the war document of Ashers. Didn't your grandparents have it hanging in their den? Seems as if I recall it being in there. I have a tin-type picture of Asher, with one of his buddies, in his uniform which I treasure.
    You know Asher and Temperance, his wife, are buried in the cemetary in Dixon. When we'd go up, to place flowers on their graves, I always took charge of placing them on theirs. Don't you just love their names? So typical of the times. Of coarse, the Dupreys, the whole family, is buried in the Dixon cemetary. That's the one thing Mom always did, is to go on Memorial day to bring flowers. She never missed one. The car looked like a "flower delivery" truck, with all the bouquets in it. So many to remember.
    Hope this comment makes sense, as I've rambled on enough. Once you get me started, watch out :)
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again...Today is Monday and I'm planning on "going north" again. Leaving Wednesday morning. Should be home by Saturday or Sunday, so you won't be hearing from me for a few days. Just wanted to let you know, so Betty wouldn't worry. :)
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pat. I appreciate the info. Have fun!:)
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know nothing about my family history so this was so interesting. I have a picture when I was a baby with Grandma Madge, Lolo, Dodo, my mom and I which I think is great we got so many generations in one photo. You guys asked what name we had picked or I had picked, haha, before Ashton and it was MaKrae. It's one of those names you have to get used to I guess. I wanted to call him Krae but Erik said he would call him MaK which is my moms dogs name. So that went out the door. But I actually ALWAYS call him Asher which will probably confuse the poor guy but as I was reading your post that was a name from our family history. Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete