Thursday, May 20, 2010

Making Progress

As I have stated in previous posts, I'm redoing part of our deck so Betty has better access from the house. I thought I would give you an update on my progress since I haven't posted since I started. It is coming along slowly and I'm sure I will be finished by next week.

Why, you may ask is it taking so long! We'll, I'll tell you. While working on this project I came to a very profound conclusion. I'M NOT AS YOUNG AS I USED TO BE!!! Yes, it was an awakening but it now takes me a hell of a lot longer to do things because I don't have the stamina I used to have. I can remember ---does that sound like an "ol' timer" or what --- when we moved to Bakersfield and I had a ton of projects to do, I could work outside in the heat all day long and still not be real tired. Now, that certainly isn't the case. I will go out and work, the temp will be in the high 80's, and after about an hour I'm finished. My shirt will look as if I went through a sprinkler and I will start to make little mistakes. So, it's back inside to cool off and then perhaps another attempt later. You will notice I said "PERHAPS another attempt later", as that is not always the case.

However, even though it is taking me a long time, I am making progress. The first thing I had to do is remove the old ramp from the lower deck to the upper. I made it way too steep for Betty to transverse it. The ramp from the ground to the lower deck was o.k., so I just had to remove the old railing. I then added to the lower deck and built a small deck extension off the upper deck. Next was building the ramp portion from the upper to the lower deck. That is now complete. In fact, Betty tested the ramp and it works beautifully. Now I'm in the process of installing the new railings. Before I had a 1x6 on top of the posts and then plastic lattice below. I really didn't like it so when I decided to rebuild the ramp I figured it was a great time to change the railing. Now, I am putting on 2x2 ballasters, and I must say it looks 100% better. Slowly but surely, onward and upward, steady as she goes, and any other cliche' will work until I'm finished.

Well, I guess I've rambled enough for one day and have put off going outside long enough, so I'll close. When I have completed the deck I'll post photos and then you can "ou and ahh " about it.

Until next time, BYE!

2 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful and you can take as long as it takes to finish. I just really appreciate it and am looking forward to going outside again.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean I have been doing the same With trying to clear away the weeds.Good luck in getting the job done.

    ReplyDelete