Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Another Post!!!!

Yes, here I am again with another infrequent post. After I started off like a "gang-buster", I seem to have fallen into an infrequent posting mode trap. I have good intentions to post more often but then, those intentions slip into the background and time seem to get away from me. So, let me catch you up on what has been happening. Things are continuing in a somewhat normal way. And to answer the question, "Have you finished the deck?", the answer will most likely not surprise you. NO!!! But more on that later.

We had a gathering for "burgers and hots" on the Sunday before Memorial Day. The way it came about is I received a call from Dave and Diane Marcil, some good friend of ours, the Tuesday night before Memorial Day. They asked if we had plans for the weekend and when I replied we didn't, Dave said they were thinking about a get together. When I then replied in the affirmative, Dave's response was, "What do you want us to bring?". When I quit laughing, Diane got on the phone and told me she would arrange what people needed to bring. (Isn't it great to have friends that plan your get together?) Everyone says they like to come to our house because it is easier for Betty and we have the best house for gatherings, also. Well, it turned out to be a success, as they all do. There was one incident that really took the wind from my sails though. It seems Mary was at the local market and there was cake shaped like a hamburger. So, Mary called to see if anyone was bringing dessert, and I told her there was going to be a cake. She asked if I was baking it and I replied I wasn't but Claire was, she said "Then I know it will be good?". Now, let me ask you, how would you have taken it? She didn't mean it the way it sounded she said, but.....Now, getting back to the deck. I am still working on it because as I said in the post prior to this one, I'm just getting to old to work like I did before. Even though we are in the beginning of the rainy season here in Florida, we haven't had much rain and it has been hot. The temperature has been running in the mid-90's and the humidity adds an additional 10 degrees, so it has been to0 hot to work outside. I know those of you that live in Arizona and the Central Valley of California have heat also, so you understand what I'm talking about. For those of you in the Northwest, the Bay area and New York, it gets hot when that big, bright ball in the sky is not blocked by clouds and rain. I know sometimes you do see the big, bright ball but it is so rare I'm sure it scares you.

I really don't have much more to do on the deck but add some more balusters on the lower ramp, a county requirement, and then paint the deck to match the house. Betty can still use the ramps to exit the house with her scooter so it's not like the deck it not usable. We sit out on the deck when it starts getting cooler in the evening. I have rearranged the plants and the Bar-B-Que so there seems to be a better flow now. When I'm completely finished, I will share pictures with you, although I do have a couple for today's post

This is just the corner where I have placed the plants. They are all herbs except for the one in front. You can see the type of balusters I'm installing and when this was taken, you can see where I had stopped. That area where there is no balusters now has them and it looks really good.


When we were in Arizona the last time, September 09, we brought home two little sections of a cactus plant Frances had growing in her patio. I really didn't think it would grow, but as you can see, it grew very well. In fact, we are need to trans-plant it in a bigger pot.


Yes, even our "critters" like the cactus.


"Come on, try and catch me. I dare you!"

Well, I guess this will do it for today. I do have some great pictures on our deer friends I want to share with you, but they can wait until another post. Until the mood strikes me again, have a great life!

2 comments:

  1. Good job it's looking good and your cactus looks like it likes it there you could get pots and start more to give as gifts if your friends like them just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, wonders never cease. You really are among the living. Had me wondering.
    Your deck looks great. Good work, for an old man.
    Gorgeous picture of the beach, at the beginning of your blog. Sure hope those aren't tar balls I see on the sand.
    I think I would have taken it the same way you probably did when Mary asked about the cake. Sounds as if she was glad Claire was baking it.
    Nice, honest friends you have : )
    EWW...Don't like your "critters".
    Until next time..IF AND WHEN THAT MIGHT BE.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete