Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's Over

I guess I will give you an update on what has transpired in the last 48 hours. As I stated before, I was scheduled for a "cardiac catherization" on Tuesday afternoon. I was worried about it to be honest with you, as I did not know what Dr Marini would find. I reported to the hospital at 1 pm, as directed, and the procedure was started at 2:30. After about an hour, Dr Marini told me I would be going to Ormond Beach because I had a 99% blockage in the heart. Our hospital is not authorized to do any corrective procedures because of state laws, but that will be changing next month. Just my luck I would need a special procedure early. Dr Marini told Betty what was happening and brought her into the operating room with me to explain what was happening. So she was able to see the "before" on my heart. He also said that she would be more comfortable not going to Ormond because I would be pretty much out of it for a while (that turned out not to be the case, but I'm glad she was able to be more comfortable at home). Anyway, into to the ambulance I went and with red-light and siren, I was transported to the hospital in Ormond Beach. Dr Marini was already there waiting so I was wheeled directly into the operating theater. To make a long story short, he was able to install a "stent" to open up the blockage. I was shown the "after" and it was like night and day. In the before, there was just a little trickle of blood flow through the blockage but after the stent was in place, it was like a gusher. Betty came to the hospital yesterday morning and I was released about 12:30. I had to go to Dr Mariin's office and he told me at that time he was almost positive I would have to have by-pass surgery, but he was able to insert the stent. Hopefully, that will be the last of it, but I've got to eliminate some of the extra "poundage" I carry. Betty, of course, is adamant I do it.

Sorry about the rambling, but I thought you might like to know the outcome.

Until next time, keep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment