Friday, March 12, 2010

Just to Update You

Yes, it's me again. I thought I would surprise everyone by posting again. I didn't realize it had been almost 2 months since my last post. Time flies when you're having fun, or in my case as you get older. I have to say, a lot has happened since my last post. So, where do I start?

I guess I will start with the scary thing first. It was three weeks ago this coming Monday when I have to admit, I was pretty frightened. I had not been exercising as I should have been as I was still a little lethargic after having the "stent" implanted. Well, I decided it was time to get back into the exercise routine, so..... I did a hard 25 minutes on my stationary bike. Big mistake! I was at the computer after the work-out and Betty was on the laptop, when I had s very sharp pain in the middle of my back, just as I did when I had my heart attack in 2006. I told Betty I may be having having another heart-attack, so I took a "nitro" pill and some aspirin and then sat in my easy chair. Betty had called Mary and Keith, so when Mary arrived at our house, she looked at me and called 911. She said I had no color in my face, which turned out to be from the "nitro" pill. To make a long story short, I went to the hospital in the ambulance and spent the rest of the day in Emergency. They were in contact with Dr. Marini and after numerous test, it was determined I just overdid it with my exercise. Was I scared it was an other heart- Attack? You got that right! Was I stupid to exercise like I did? "You bet your bippy," I was! Now, normal exercise every other day and it feels great.

Now some of the good stuff. In February, Mary & Keith, Skip, and I went to a presentation by a local travel agency on cruises. There were people from Carnival, Princess, and Holland American making presentations, which was very interesting. I didn't know Carnival owned the other two also. It's like Chevrolet (Carnival), Buick (Holland American) and Cadillac (Princess). Anyway, after the presentations we had an opportunity to talk with each representative and get some insight, for me anyway, on each cruise line. Holland has a wonderful Alaskan Cruise, which we hope to take next year with the kids, but we did book a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise on Princess. It's not until October, but none of our friends have ever been on a Princess cruise, so we are all looking forward to it. I booked a handicap room with balcony which I think Betty and I will enjoy. We are going to places like Aruba, Bonaire, Dominica, and St Thomas, so I think we will have a good time.

I found a recipe for Creme Brulee that I wanted to try but I didn't have a torch, so I called Mary to see if she did. Well, Keith said he didn't think so but would ask her. Wouldn't you know it, she did. Mary will buy things on sale that "she might need someday" if it is a good price. she had a complete kit. Anyway, I made some for Betty and I and it was great. So, I decided I would have Mary, Keith , Skip and Mo for dinner and "Wow them with my culinary skills." So, I did! I served Beef Bourguignon, a simple but time consuming beef stew with red wine and oh so tasty, with buttered noodles and grill asparagus. Also a beautiful salad no one touched. For dessert, I made Creme Brulee, of course. I have to tell you, it was outstanding (Excuse me, I have to go have my arm set from patting myseld on the back). The Beef Bourguignon was from The Art of French Cooking by Julia Child and was the prominent dish in the movie Julia and Julie. It is well worth the time it takes to make it.

I subscribe to several cooking magazines but one of my favorites is Cook's Country. I also get online recipes from them. Well, last week I received a recipe for "Tunnel of Fudge" cake. If you remember back in the late '70's early '80's, this was a very popular cake. It was a chocolate bundt cake that when it baked, a "tunnel" of fudge frosting formed in the cake. Pillsbury even had a mix for it. Well, as many things do, it fell out of favor but the people at Cook's Country TV tested recipes and came up with one that works. So...... yes I made it last Monday and had our friends over to try it. I have to say, it came out really great (there goes my other arm). It is oh so chocolaty with the chocolate ganache frosting. If you would like to try it, go www.cookscountrytv.com/recipes and give it a look see. It should be made to share, that is for sure.

Well, I have rambled long enough and I'm sure you are totally bored reading this, so I'll sign off for today. So until the next time, have a great life.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're doing well! Aaron and I have been on three Princess cruises and we LOVE them. I don't think there is any other way to cruise. You will be very happy with the balcony rooms, they are so lovely and it's wonderful to have a balcony to go out onto in the morning. Aaron and I would always get the continental breakfast delivered to us with coffee and enjoy a light breakfast on the balcony's in the morning and then head in for a more hearty breakfast later in the morning. You will have to blog about your adventures on this cruise when you return. I miss the Caribbean and can't wait to return again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've been helping a friend pack things up, she's moving out of state, I hadn't been on the computer for a couple of days. When I turned it on this morning I saw your e-mail regarding "the surprise". I thought OMG...He's finally back. Welcome : )
    Your ordeal must have been frightening. Sooo glad everything is okay.
    Tunnel of fudge cake. Oh my, one of my favorites. However, I did go on the site you mentioned and looked up the recipe. As the recipe states, it won't be the same without the walnuts. I don't get it as I don't remember there being walnuts in the original recipe or am I having a "senior moment"? Did I click onto the correct recipe?
    So you're going on a cruise...good for you. Your room should be nice with a balcony. Way to go.
    The Alaska cruise will be great. I visited Alaska about 9 years ago. Went to a friends wedding. We went all over. She was a great "tour guide". Saw lots of moose, bald eagles, some Russian town, glaciers calving, on the boat trip we took. It was a GREAT trip. Went to the plant where they make applets and cotlets, among other "lets" : ) and also a chocolate factory that had a chocolate fountain that was 6' high...YUM. Brought lots of "goodies" home, including some smoked salmon which she had smoked. YUM again. Wonderful trip. I know you'll enjoy it.
    Here I go again...getting carried away. Just call me gabby : )
    Till next time.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete