One of the things I thought was pretty cool as we left Ft Lauderdale, was a
US Coast Guard helicopter did a fly-by. They most likely were on a training flight but they "buzzed" the ship as it was leaving the harbor. It really was nice to see.


When I was at the Maritime Academy and we were on our cruise, we worked with a
Coast Guard cutter that is stationed half-way between the mainland and Hawaii. It allowed them to practice towing a distressed vessel, as well as, a sea rescue. We also transferred their mail to them for which they were very appreciative. In addition, as we were returning from Japan on said cruise, we had a "seml-epidemic" of a viral infection, so the
Coast Guard flew out from Hawaii and dropped us needed medicine to help eliminate it. The
Coast Guard provides a valuable service to the maritime community, that's for sure. I know I got off subject somewhat but that's the way it goes.
As I stated previously, our itinerary was changed so the first day after leaving Ft Lauderdale we were at
Princess Cays, in the Bahamas. This is an island owned by the Carnival Cruise Company which is shared by Princess, Holland American, and Carnival Cruises. All of these cruise lines are under the Carnival umbrella, so the name of the cays depends on which cruise line you are sailing on. Since the only way to go ashore is by tender, we decided to stay on the ship instead of going ashore. There is always something to do on the ship if you want, or you can sit in the sun on the balcony. Even though we didn't go ashore, I still have some photos to share.

First look at the Bahamas


They use the lifeboats as tenders, which gives the crew practice in launching them. Although I couldn't actually see them launch the boats, they were from the port-side, which is where our stateroom was located.
Princess Cays
Well, that's all for today. I hope you enjoyed the photos but I promise to try and do better.
No comments:
Post a Comment