So, let's get on to the caves. There are two caves that are significant in Aruba. The first one is pretty small and me being as claustrophobic as I am, I didn't go up to see it. Keith climb up to look into it but didn't venture inside. He really wasn't very impressed as he couldn't see much.
The second cave was much larger and is well protected. You can venture inside but you must go with a guide as there are places you are not supposed to go. There are a couple of reasons for that, the first being there are hieroglyphics on the ceiling and the second is the cave is home to a very rare species of bat. Obviously, they don't want people distroying the hieroglyphics by touching them, so you are pretty restricted when you do enter the cave. You are also restricted as to how deep you can go into the cave because they don't want the bats disturb during the day. they are some sort of a fruit bat and are important for pollination of some of Aruba's plants. They are becoming less abundant because of the encroachment of people, so that is why Aruba is so strict about the caves. No one wanted to go into the cave except Mary and I, so off we trudged. Mary couldn't believe I ventured into the cave because of being so claustrophobic, but it was no big thing. Only tight places bother me and the cave was wide open.
This last photo has no rhyme or reason for being here except I thought it was a nice unique picture. The cacti growing out of the tropical plants still is beautiful to me. I know it's not as "lush" as other places, even some of the islands we previously visited, but I still think it is pretty.
I have a surprise for all you lucky people. I had more photos of Aruba than I thought so, guess what? Yeah you're right! One more day on Aruba!!!!!!!
Thanks for the caves and the humor enjoyed them both
ReplyDeleteNo going into caves for me...too spooky. Especially with bats living in there. Although they do look interesting....FROM THE OUTSIDE......
ReplyDeleteHave to give you credit for the great pictures of the inside of the caves. Nice job.
I was unable to comment on your last post, as I was busy reading the hand book, from the DMV, so I could renew my DL. I was scared I'd mess up as I HATE written tests. After a certain age, at least in CA., they require you to take the written test, eye test, also picture and thumb print. I QUALIFIED as I'm past that certain age. This is the second time I've had to do this : ( Anyway, I PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS. All that reading paid off.
Yep, you're right. It was your grandfather and Red that I quoted...Mostly "Uncle Fred"...
Time to sign off...for this time.
C.P.
P.S.
ReplyDeleteYou never did tell us what
"Wool Growers Restaurant Dip" is...And I did ask.
C.P.