Thursday, February 3, 2011

Just Been Busy

Busy! Busy! Busy! Yes, I've been busy the last couple of days and that's why there were no posts. I know what you are thinking: "You're retired! How can you be busy?" Well, let me tell you. When I have a chore to do it now takes me a lot longer to accomplish it than it used to. Something that used to take an hour is at least double that now. It's not that I'm less competent, it's just I need to take more breaks. This getting older stuff is not what it's cracked up to be.

Now on to the continuing saga. My cousin, Pat, says she is till waiting to see"lush", and I have to tell here that is a relative term. Aruba is not "lush" like Hawaii, but on the flip-side, it's not as touristy either. The lushness I was speaking about was the contrast of the cacti growing out of the low growing tropical plants. I know Pat loves Hawaii and she and my Aunt Mary used to travel there at least twice a year, if I remember right. I enjoyed Hawaii when I was there also, but to me, I think going to new places is the way to have a more diverse appreciation of the world. Wow! Was that philosophical or what? Enough picking on Pat, let's get down to business.

Religion seems to play a very significant part in the lives of the Arubans (sic). I'm not sure what the prominent religion is in Holland but I think it is Catholic, and Aruba is definitely Catholic. Every little town has a pretty little church and cemetery. Betty and I have been to places where it is impossible to bury a casket because the water table is so high, the casket would float to the surface, so the graves were above ground. I don't know if that is the case on Aruba, but every cemetery is a collection of small ornate burial chambers. Whereas in the states, elaborate headstones and markers are placed by "families of importance", I don't think that is the case in Aruba. At first glance, it looks as if each chamber is a family owned site, no matter the status in life.


This church was right beside the road we were on so it gave me an opportunity to get some pretty good shots of it.

This is one area of the cemetery. Aren't the burial chamber pretty? I was amazed at the detail on each.


Another area of the cemetery.



As we continued down the same road, this cross was erected out in the middle of an uninhabited area. I just thought it was unique and really pretty.


This is the church in the nest little town we came to. Again you can see the burial chambers in the cemetery.

We were headed for a shrine that is built in a cave, called "The Grotto". On one side of the road is a shrine that is used for Sunday mass and on the opposite is a shrine to the children of Aruba. It was interesting to see the contrast of the two, the children's shrine being very small and less cared for compared to the other one.

"The Grotto!"


Another view

Mary and Keith coming down the stairs from "The Grotto!" Mary said it didn't smell very nice but that was because of the water seepage. I'm sure.


Walkway to the children's shrine.

Baby Jesus in the manger!


These cacti were growing on top of the children shrine and it was as if they were reaching for the heavens to in the protection of the children. I was really kind of moved by that.

Well, enough for today. I am getting to philosophical. People will say that's out of character for me, but you would be surprised if you only knew. So, until next time,.....

1 comment:

  1. Fred I rally enjoyed this post love the churches and cementarys they are beautiful thanks for all the pictures

    ReplyDelete