So let's continue with the cruise and see where it leads us. As I stated in the last post, when we departed from Aruba, there was going to be two days at sea, which I really love. It is a time for relaxation and just plain doing nothing , or everything, your choice. Since this was a 10 day cruise, there were two formal nights on the agenda, and we already had one. The second one was scheduled for the first night at sea after we left Aruba. Sidebar: When we discussed going on a cruise to Alaska with the kids, Daryl said he didn't want to go on one with formal nights. But I have to tell you, formal nights are really fun. Getting dressed up to go to dinner really makes you feel special if it's not something you normally do. The only place a coat and tie are required is in the main dining rooms, so if you don't feel like dressing up, there are plenty of venues where you can get something to eat and not have to "dress up".
After we spent the day just relaxing, we dressed for dinner. On formal nights, there are photographers all over the ship waiting to take your picture. Each area had a different backdrop so we would go from one area to another and have our picture taken. It was really fun, as we had not done that on the first formal night. There was also a roving photographer that took our picture in the dining room. The next day, every picture that was taken is printed and displayed so you can pick and choose if you want to purchase any of them. Betty and I purchased three photos we really liked. The photo used in the heading of this blog was one of those we purchased. As a matter of fact, we gave the kids a framed one for Christmas, lucky them!! It was really fun going through all of the photos trying to find the perfect one. In addition to the professional photos, I had my camera with me so I could take pictures of all of us at dinner. Another note about formal night, they always have something special on the menu that is not normally available.
So, let's get on with the photos as the narrative is getting pretty boring to you, I'm sure.
I wanted some photos of our last formal dinner, so I took one of each of our friends for posterity.
When we booked the cruise, we opted for traditional dinner versus free-style. The difference is, with free-style dining, you go to dinner when you want and sit wherever there is an available table, i.e., like a regular restaurant. Whereas with traditional seating you go to the same restaurant at the same time and sit at the same table every night. Therefore, you also have the same wait staff who get to know you and your tastes. For instance, all of us drink iced tea, so after the first couple of nights, our waiters had tea waiting for us when we sat down. In addition, they "took charge" of seating Betty and taking her wheelchair away so she was comfortable. I have to say our waiters were outstanding and we really had fun with them.
Obviously I didn't take the next photos. I know I'm talented but even I can't take such a great photo of myself. There goes that ego again. Mary had taken my camera so she could take photos of Betty and I and these were the results of that endeavor.
The following two photos were taken by the ships photographers, as you can tell. We all wanted one photo taken with all of us, and this one turned out really well I think.

Betty and I both liked this photo taken at dinner by the roving photographer. I think it really captures the mood of the whole eventing.

Well, we've come to the end of our cruise adventure. Even though we had one more day at sea, the only photos I took were of Cuba as we sailed by. I really couldn't believe how large of an island Cuba is, or really hadn't thought about it before we sailed past it. The ship was cruising at a little over 20 knots and it still took eight hours to sail past Cuba. Amazing!
So until I can think of anything to post about, have a great respite.
The end----Really great pictures thanks for sharing I really enjoyed the whole thing until next time
ReplyDeleteFirst of all I want to thank you for taking us on an "arm chair" cruise. It was fun. Especially the fact we didn't have to get dressed up for the "formal dinners"...Right, Daryl? Me? I'm the casual type. Nothing fancy. Jeans and tennis shoes suit me just fine.
ReplyDeleteValentino and Leo looked like the same person and at first I thought they were. Have to be brothers or somehow related.
The picture of you, the one beneath the picture of Leo on the first formal night, looks like you were drinking something a bit stronger than iced tea, as you claim to drink...you seem to be "listing" a bit... Don't know about you : )
All of the photos are really great. Especially the group photo and the photo's of you and Betty.
That's about it until next time.
C.P.