Sunday, October 4, 2009

Heading East

I know, I said I would post the day after my last post, but I didn't. After being gone the length of time we were, there was a "ton of things" to do when we returned home. So, I spent a great deal of time "catching up', so to speak. Still more to do but I needed to update my posting.

This will be somewhat short, and without photos, as our second day traveling home was pretty uneventful. We left my sister's house about eight on Saturday morning and headed up I-15 toward Salt Lake to catch I-70. Yes, we were supposed to be heading East but in order to do that, we had to head North first. That is unless we wanted to head South to catch I-40. The reason we wanted to take I-70 was to see some different country. We drove through some country I truly miss here in Florida, magnificent mountains and beautiful scenery in Utah. As I have stated in previous posts, the highest "mountain" in Florida is the covered landfill. When we finally got to the higher elevations in Utah, toward Colorado, it leveled out somewhat and became a "plains area". When we crossed into Colorado, Betty noticed the welcome sign said "Welcome to Colorful Colorado". She said, "I don't know why they have that on the sign, because this isn't anything special." Well, we found out why in our travels the next day.

We made it to Grand Junction, CO, when we decided it was time to stop for the day. It was here I encountered a situation that "blew me away." Whenever, I am looking for a hotel for us to stay in, I always ask two questions. First, do you accept small pets, Kujo, and do you have any handicap rooms. I was shocked when at this particular hotel because they did accept small pets, but when I asked for a handicap room, I was told only service animals could be in the handicap rooms. When I asked for an explanation as to the reasoning, I was told they had an agreement with the local hospitals not to allow pets in handicap rooms because the next handicap person that used the room could be allergic to pets and have respiratory problems. I then said, in that case, service animals should not be allowed in the rooms either. The poor clerk had no answer for that and another individual waiting for service remarked how discriminatory the policy was. As I told the young lady at the front desk, it wasn't her fault but I wanted the managers name so I could write a letter of complaint. I am also considering writing a letter to the state of Colorado about the discriminatory practice. I can understand if a hotel doesn't allow any pets, but to allow other guest to have pets, and to say a handicap person cannot have both a handicap and a pet is wrong. As I write this, I get angry all over again. Will it affect Betty and I if I don't bring this to someones attention? I doubt it because we never pass that way again and if we did, I wouldn't stop there anyway. But, what of the other handicap people traveling with pets, should they be discriminated against because of a stupid policy? I think not.

I said there would be no photos but I had to share with you what happens when I get up in the morning and Betty is still in bed. It seems as if Kujo thinks my side of the bed is really hers and she is just letting me use it during the night.


It doen't set much better than this!!!

"Please quite blinding me with the flash! I need my rest!"

Continued next post.

3 comments:

  1. I made a comment yesterday and posted it...what happened? I don't see it...
    What I said is to "give 'em hell," Fred, when you complain about the stupid policy at the motel. Also, I think it's nice that Kujo shares with you. You taught her well :)
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, That happens to me all the time. Sometimes they ask you to OK the Post Comment twice. When I leave without doing that it doesn't post. Thanks for your comments. That's what makes this blogging stuff fun. Not that I do any of the writing of the blog but I do read it. It was fun to go on a long trip and visit with everyone (especially Frances) but its also good to come home again. I'm still recovering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, let's see...this just might be my last post as Fred NEVER answers my questions :(
    I've asked about the old picture I had my grandson scan to you and also about the recipe I found of your moms'...So you can't talk to me...
    I can't talk to you. Yes, I'm miffed...
    ALWAYS glad to hear from you, Betty. You always respond.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete