Thursday, August 13, 2009

Can't Beleive It

I know you are not going to believe it, but yesterday was Amy's 31st birthday. It seemed as only yesterday she was a baby. I know Betty doesn't believe she is 31 because Betty is only 39 herself. Funny how her kids caught up to her, isn't it? Our biggest regret in not being close enough to our kids when they celebrate birthdays, but in reality, they would rather celebrate with their friends anyway (as it should be). There is one little caveat I don't understand though. How is Daryl 41 and Betty is only 39? Oh, the miracle of modern math.

What makes so very proud is both of our kids are very independent and have accomplished so many things on their own. Daryl worked really hard, and with with deal of great diligence, to accomplish his goal of obtaining his doctorate in Psychology, and so too did Amy, returning to college after being away for some years, to obtain her degree in Linguistics. That takes a great deal of perseverance and dedication.

Amy & Betty


Then
Bakersfield about '79


Now
Christmas '08 at Frances'


Well, we are starting to get ready for our trip to Arizona. We decided to go a different way this time, so we are looking forward to that. Always before we would take I-10 to Baton Rouge, then head to Shreveport to catch I-20. Then we would stay on I-20 to Dallas where we would go toward Amarillo to catch I-40. Prior to our last trip, we would always go through Wichita Falls, but my GPS system had us going to Oklahoma City to catch I-40. It was a little further, mile wise, but much faster. Once we were on I-40, it is all the way into Kingman. This trip, we are going to take I-10 to I-75, then north to Atlanta, west to Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, Oklahoma City and points West. Surprisingly enough, it is only 40 miles further than the way we always went. It should be fun but I don't know the where the rest areas are located (a very important bit of needed information). Oh, well, I'll find them. Everyone realizes we have to go up I-95 to Jacksonville to catch I-10 west. That was a given. We are looking forward to this trip as we had planned it the last we were in Arizona in December. We decided this would be a good time because September is usually the worst month for hurricanes, and now, with Ray passing away, Frances needs a little extra help around her place. Usually, when we were there, I would help Ray do things and also do quite a bit of the cooking. That gave Frances a chance to relax and visit with Betty.

Anyway, I've rambled enough, so until tomorrow,.....

1 comment:

  1. I know you and Betty are very proud of your kids.
    As it should be. Sounds like a nice trip, going a different route will make it more interesting as you'll see things you haven't in previous trips. Good luck with finding "pit stops" :)
    I guess you know, if you can't find a rest stop, you can always stop in a restaurant and get a coffee or cold drink and use their facility. That's been done before and you both benefit.
    Cute contrast...from '79 to '08...Haven't changed a bit, right Betty? Fred said in his last post that I was older than him...Is he really younger than 39? : )
    Time to go, I have a LONG "to do" list today.
    My goodness, today is Thursday...and you posted. No important appointment today?
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete