Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Cousin Pat

As you have all seen in the comment section, my cousin Pat is a very loyal follower of my posts. But first, let me clarify something. Pat is my second cousin. She is actually my mother's first cousin, though she was a lot younger than my mother. So, does that make her a lot older than me? Maybe not a lot, but older for sure. I have previously related stories about traveling to my Aunt Mary and Red's house, finding "My Place", playing casino with the "old ladies" at the rest home and going to the corner for coffee milkshakes. In all of the times I was in Berkley, I was always welcome in Pat and Johnny's home. Now that she is following my posts, we have gone back a number of years and reconnected.

Now to answer some of the questions Pat asked in her last comments. I don't know if this is the right forum to do this, but hey, it's my posting. Okra!! This is a vegetable that most people don't like because, as Pat said, it is slimy. Pat, I have to tell you, the first time I tasted okra I felt the same way. We were having dinner at Jack and Esther's, and she made okra with stewed tomatoes. I have to admit, that dish was the most unappealing food I had ever had (next to anything with bell peppers). Then I married Betty and she cooked fried okra and green tomatoes, and it was wonderful. It gave me a whole new perspective on okra. So, you asked, how do you cook it? Well, I'm about to tell you how I cook it, which may be a little different than Frances. Here goes:

Take green tomatoes, however many you want, and cut them into bite-size pieces. Then cut both ends off the okra, and throw the ends away. I like about 2/3rds okra to 1/3rd tomatoes, give or take. The sourness of the tomatoes makes the dish. Next, cut the remaining okra into small medallions. Place the tomatoes and okra into a bowl and coat with a light dusting of cornmeal. Heat some oil in a frying pan (I use Canola normally, but for a different, subtle flavor, I will use olive oil) and fry the vegetables until soft. Add oil as needed so they don't dry out. The next step is PIG OUT!!!! Easy and good!

Now to answer Pat's 2nd question. No we are not flying, we are driving. We always take "The Kujo" and just enjoy our driving. This will be our fourth or fifth trip driving out west. In 2006, we drove to Arizona and then Olympia for Christmas at Amy's. We stopped in St George at Doris', then Frances and Ray's, up to Fresno to Daryl and Doug's, then to Vancouver, WA to see LaDonna and Vern, then on to Amy's, where the boys met us again. In 2007, we did the same thing with the exception of going to Doris' and we stopped for Christmas in Fresno, where Amy flew to San Jose where we picked her up. We then went to Arizona in July of 2008, with a quick trip to Fresno to see Daryl and Doug's new house. And then last Christmas, we celebrated Christmas with Ray and Frances' at their house. The kids came down for it as they had not seen Ray and Frances for at least 20 years. So, to answer Pat's question, we do drive to Arizona and beyond. As she said about her travels to Redding, we listen to CD's, satellite radio, and we even talk sometimes. It really is fun, and only 2,220 miles one way. I think I know where every rest-stop on the route is by now.



Beautiful Country, New Mexico


Another view.

Well, I gues I'll top for today. Hopefully, I'll be bck again tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Hi and bye...I'm in the middle of cleaning out my closet as the Veterans are picking up donations tomorrow morning at 8AM. And I want to wash the clothes before I donate them. Forgive me, but the Veterans come first. I'm sure you understand.
    Also need to go to Costco this afternoon. Almost out of coffee and paper towels. Can't run out of either.
    Will comment on today's post, tomorrow and maybe tomorrows post, if you write one.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, no post today, huh...and it's not even "Thursday".
    I can understand why you drive. You can see alot of interesting and beautiful places. I find it relaxing, even watching out for the other "crazies" on the road.
    I'm also glad you started your blog. I believe I mentioned once before, it it were not for this, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of meeting the other "Johnson girls"...Thanks, Freddie.
    I'm quite surprised that you had okra at Esthers place...Never known her to cook it, but I don't know everything. Bell peppers???
    I agree...YUK.........
    You know, I've never seen green tomatoes or okra stocked in my super markets, but of coarse I wasn't looking for either as I didn't know how to cook green tomatoes and wasn't interested in okra. There's a wonderful produce store, in Berkeley, that seems to stock EVERYTHING from EVERYWHERE. Must try there so I can try your recipe. Haven't been there for quite awhile as I try to stay out of Berkeley.
    We call it BEZERKLY...... : )
    That's all folks.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GEEEEEZ.........Am I the ONLY ONE reading your posts?????????????? Where is everyone?
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete