Most of you know, I like to experiment when I cook, trying new dishes, etc. Well, I was reading about the new movie "Julie and Julia", which led me to some French recipes. Sidebar: Amy saw the movie Friday night and said it was great. She said it was more about Julia Child, unlike the book. I don't know if you know anything about Julia Child, but she was quite an accomplished lady and had a wonderful sense of humor. - end of sidebar. Well, I tried one Saturday night , "Chicken Cassoulet", and it was great. I know the name sounds impressive, but in reality it is just chicken thighs in white beans. What makes it so good is the seasoning; rosemary, thyme and white wine. It was such a simple recipe but so very tasty. I did more research on French cooking and came to the conclusion that it doesn't mean fancy. Many recipes are very simple and yet very flavorful. I now want to get "The Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child, her first book.
This leads me to my next adventure. I was thumbing through the latest issue of "Bon Appetit" and came across an article that peaked my interest. It was about a columnist that was challenged to cook for a week using only the items he had at home. This really got me thinking, so I decided to challenge myself to that task. I went through the freezers yesterday to determine exactly what we have, because you know there are things in the freezer you don't remember. Now the key is using all of those things we have. I think it is going to be fun, as well as a challenge. I'll keep you informed how it is going.
Well, Betty and I are looking forward to heading out to Arizona to Frances' home. We are going to leave around the 4th of September and will return sometime in late September or early October. It's not worth going that far for just a short stay. We are going to go see my sister in St George also, but the high-light of the trip is the boys coming down from Fresno. I talked with Daryl last night and as soon as we finalize our dates, they will work their schedule around so they can visit us. Amy won't be able to come down, which is too bad. Maybe next time. Don't you just love how we invade Frances'? We did it last Christmas now we're doing it again.
Just a couple of photos of our boys.
Doug, as they were heading for Vegas from Frances'
Do you think Daryl's grown?Taken in our home in Panama in 1969.
That's all for today.
Good Morning;
ReplyDeleteI'm back, all you lucky people : )
I've never tried fried green tomatoes and the only okra I've tried I didn't like, as it was "slimy". How do you fix it to get rid of the slime?
It looks as if I have you guessing about where and why I go "up north". Well, I'm going to keep you guessing a little bit longer. No, I can't do that to you Betty as you're too nice. But don't tell Fred : ) Get out of there Fred, quit reading over Betty's shoulder. LOL.
Well, I go to Redding, about 3 hours north of here. Sparky (John) and his wife, Donna, live there. He's Jack and Esthers son. Remember? It's a nice drive, about 300 miles, and I enjoy it. I pop in a CD and away I go. Yes, Donna and I go to the casino there in Redding, however, that's not all we do. We've gone to Burney Falls and we just went to dinner at a restaurant overlooking Shasta Lake. Beautiful, but not much water in the lake. Sun Dial Bridge, etc. Also go shopping, of coarse...what else do women do?
My goal? To go as much as I can for as long as I can. Not getting any younger, are we... : (
You're sure going to be gone for a long while. Are you driving or flying? I assume, flying, as it's a long way to drive. That's great that you'll, at least, be able to see Daryl and Doug, but too bad Amy can't join you. My mind was thinking...if you were going to be in Az. that you just might drive to Fresno to see the boys, but with them coming there, I guess not. Thought if you did, I'd drive "south" and meet up with you, hoping Frances would come with you and then I'd get a chance to see you and to meet her.
Oh well...another time, perhaps.
Time to go as I've rambled on enough already.
As you say..."That's all for today"
C.P.
Pat, that sounds like a lot of fun. No wonder you like to go there. I agree with you. Keep moving and keep interesting people in your life.You're right, too, about not getting any younger but some people LIKE old and were born that way. It's more fun to think young isn't it. I don't know how my kids passed me up. Welcome home! Glad you're back.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely visit with Aunt Frances. Mom requests her vacation a year in advance for this time every year - but we'll just have to wait for next year I guess. Too many personalities for one house.
ReplyDelete