Monday, August 24, 2009

Back In The Saddle for a Day

I just thought I would update everyone on the trials and tribulations of The Florida Branch. We have been pretty busy doing our projects, and now we are starting to get ready to go to Arizona. I have to fix the boat cover and make sure everything is secure with the boat, then I have to tie down or store any loose things, - i.e., bar-b-que, chairs, tools, - in case a hurricane visits while we are gone, and finally, I need to get the car serviced and some minor repairs taken care of. So, I'll be pretty busy for the next few days. We plan to leave for Arizona on the 5th and take the new route.

Betty has finished the caterpillars and they are really cute. She was somewhat frustrated with the faces because she couldn't get them completely round. She said IF she ever made one again, she would do it differently to make sure the faces are round. Personally, I think they are really great right now. Living with a "perfectionist" is just a burden I have to bear, I guess! I'll let you decide based on what you see in the photos. You have already seen the dog, and Betty shared the others with her sisters, but I wanted to share them with the world. We are taking the dog to Frances, and she has given one of the caterpillars to Frannie, for her grand-niece. One of the others is going to Amy to give to her friend Jenny, and the last one is going to Keith & Mary's granddaughter.

The Three Caterpillars
Front


Tail End


With the dog


Just resting my head


I also have been busy. As most of you know, one of my favorite channels is the Foodnetwork. I watch a number of shows on it but only with certain chefs. Alton Brown on Good Eats, Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, sometimes Paula Dean and Bobby Flay. I can't stand Rachael Ray or Giana De Laurentiis. Anyway, I was watching Alton Brown and he made a wonderful apple pie. So, I went on Amazon.com to get the things I needed to make the pie. What was really funny was when I looked at the tart pan I wanted, all of the other items were listed also. Someone had the same idea prior to me going there. To make a long story short, when I received everything, I proceeded to make the pie. I have to say, it was the best. The picture doesn't really do it any justice unless you realize Betty and I have consumed half already. Oh, so good!


Half a pie.
Notice there is no pie plate.


Pie Bird
Placed in center of pie to vent. Works great.

Tart pan with Pie Bird


Tart Pan with bottom removed.
After the pie cools, you remove the pan by pushing the bottom out.

On Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Guy went to a dinner that served Potato Encrusted Salmon. I went online and retrieved the recipe. I tried one evening for dinner and it was really great. It didn't look like the one on the show (a little messier) but it tasted wonderful. I'll make it again for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, big guy. You've been missed. First of all, have a fun and safe trip. Betty's "pets" look so cute. As I mentioned before, she is sooo talented. Your pie? YUM O...as Rachael Ray would say..I CAN'T STAND HER EITHER. Talks too much. I, too, watch the Food network alot. Guy Fieri..I LOVE and Bobby Flay is another of my favorites. Alton Brown,Paula Dean and Giana...only if I'm in the mood for them, which isn't that often. Did you know that Guy was born in Ferndale? Ever been there? Quaint little town and an interesting place to visit. Stopped there on our trip to Oregon and the Rogue River Mail Boat Run. Here I am, talking too much again...Wind me up and I'm like "Chatty Kathy". Again, be safe and have fun. Give Frances a hug for me, okay?
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great caterpillers. looks like a lot of work
    love Salmon

    ReplyDelete