Everyone always asked if we are afraid of the alligators and to be honest with you, we really don't see that many. Sure they will lay on the bank sunning themselves, or will be traveling in some of the water-ways, but for the most part, they pretty much leave people alone. Now, would I go swimming in an area were gators might be, at dusk or early in the morning? Only if I had a death wish. Nor would I allow Kujo to play along the banks of the canals. She would be a nice appetizers for a gator.
We also have lots of turtles. I was surprised at how often we do see turtles, but i guess that should be expected with all the water. Let me relate a quick story about a quick story about my interaction with a turtle. We had just left our community and were traveling on Old Kings Road, when I saw a turtle heading for the opposite side of the road. Knowing it's fate was most likely going to be a loosing encounter with a car, I stopped (which happens with others frequently), picked up the turtle and carried it to the other side of the road. I returned to my car and as I was driving away, I noticed in the rear-view mirror the turtle was heading back across the road in the direction from which it came. At that point, I decided it was on it's own, but when we returned home, I was surprised to see it was not splattered all over the highway.
Anyway, I thought I would share a few photos from some of the creatures we see. I may have posted some of these photos previously, but I can't remember, so enjoy them again if I have.
Grey Egret
There is a wooden walkway maintained by the county,near the inter-coastal, that transverses some marshland. It is a great place to take in some of the beauty of area and see some "critters". This little egret thought it should be a star or something, as it never moved as I approached.


George
Geaorgfe is a heron that spends most of it's time here in the village. With all the canals and small lakes available for food gathering, George doesn't have to look for a meals very hars. He has his own smorgusboard right here.



Large White Egret
This was taken on the same walk as the photos of the little grey egret. I just think this bird has a majestic look to it. It is tall and sleek, and the white coloring just makes it regal.


There is a wooden walkway maintained by the county,near the inter-coastal, that transverses some marshland. It is a great place to take in some of the beauty of area and see some "critters". This little egret thought it should be a star or something, as it never moved as I approached.


George
Geaorgfe is a heron that spends most of it's time here in the village. With all the canals and small lakes available for food gathering, George doesn't have to look for a meals very hars. He has his own smorgusboard right here.



Large White Egret
This was taken on the same walk as the photos of the little grey egret. I just think this bird has a majestic look to it. It is tall and sleek, and the white coloring just makes it regal.


Enough for today.
You'll not move...you live in such an interesting area. Great photos. Thought I'd see a picture of the turtle you saved. Camera not with you?
ReplyDeleteYeah, Frances, had fun. Went to the oldest restaurant in Redding for dinner. Tin ceilings and all. Then went onto the casino :) Lots of fun playing those slots.
C.P.
I love the birds the grace and beauty is wonderful
ReplyDeleteOh, I forgot...today is Thursday and you must have an "important" appointment today that's why no blog...
ReplyDeleteC.P. : )
I loved watching these birds and all the others including the turtles when we visited you and Betty. Great pictures
ReplyDelete