Last Monday, July 20th, I made a statement about marrying into an "okie" family, and boy was I chastised for it. First, my sister-in-law Frances viciously attacked me and to make matters worse, my wife sided with her. Then LaDonna joined the fray by saying I was lucky to have married into the Johnson clan, and to top it off, my cousin Pat, who married an Italian, agreed with Francis also. If you read the post, you would have noticed I said I loved all of the things I called "okie" food. I was so upset with what Frances wrote that I had to call her. She explained to me it wasn't "okie" food but just plain good food. She accused me of being a gourmet cook so I didn't understand simple cooking. Well, to clarify things, I'm certainly not a gourmet cook and I love to cook fried okra and green tomatoes. I do like corn bread, but I prefer to have my beans and hamhocks with flour tortillas because you can "scoop" the beans into a little pocket. As far as the faux stroganoff "Top-Hat" goes, it is one of the best meals you can have. So does that make me what I accused the Johnson girls of being?
You bet 'cha!!!
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love that hat! You just wish you were a gourmet chef like you wish you could play golf like a girl(LPGA). You do fine cooking weather gourmet (food channel)or just plain good. Can we help it if we prefer good over iron chef?
ReplyDeletePoor Fred...you got it from all sides, didn't you...Okay, now that everyone's friends again let's cool it. Food? There may be gourmet food, plain food and lazy food...I'm in the latter catagory. Short cuts? Love 'em. I guess that's why I like Sandra Lee, unless I'm in a creative mood, which isn't too often.
ReplyDeleteHi Betty, Frances and LaDonna. Have a good day.
You too, Freddie.
C.P.