Monday, July 20, 2009

????

Wow, it has been quite some time since my last post. I didn't realize how long it had been. Today is a rest day on "Le Tour de france" so I thought I would see what I could post. I always read my sister-in-law LaDonna's post, The Healing Technique", and I have to say I was impressed with her photos of the tomato plant in the topsy-turvy. I have tried to grow tomatoes like that for several years and all I get is dead tomato plants. When we lived in Bakersfield, we had some very fine gardens but since we moved from there, it seems as if I have a "black" thumb when it comes to vegetables. If you go to LaDonna's blog, you will notice that my other sister-in-law Frances made a comment about wishing she had the green tomatoes to go with some okra. I tell you, I married into a family of "okies"! When Betty and I were first married, she said she was going to cook some beans and ham-hocks for dinner, and I said I had never had any meal like that. Well, after 47 odd years or so, I guess I have turned into an "okie" myself. I love beans and ham-hocks, fried green tomatoes and okra, "top-hat" - the fake stroganoff, and lots of other food the Johnson girls were raised on.

Some of you may wonder why I watch "Le Tour de france" everyday. Well, I have to say, I think the men that ride in that bike race are some of the best athletes in the world. You have to admire anyone that can ride a bicycle up a mountain with a grade of 6% to 10% at the speeds they do. Or just to consistently ride on the plat portion of the race at 45 to 50 mph. I know the ride really special bikes (they don't go to the local shop and buy one), but I still marvel at their skill and daring.

Later:
We had been waiting for word about Keith and Mary's new grandchild and she finally arrived. Sean called this morning about 1:45am to say Candi had the baby, a little girl, although they knew that before hand. They wanted to wait to give her a name so that will be coming. Mary called about an hour ago to give us the word and said the baby was 7 lbs. 1 oz. and 21 inches. That is really a normal size baby considering Sean is really large, 6'6". So I said the baby probably wore size 10 booties. Betty made a baby carrier for Candi, like the one she made earlier for Jenny. I was going to wait for her to finish some other things she is making, but I think it is time I shared a photo of it with you. Mary is sending it today so they can have it to bring the baby home in it.


Really nice carrier.
Betty said it was the combination of the materials and I had picked those out.
(Nothing like bragging about myself)

Well, I'm going to stop for today. I had some other photos I wanted to share but they can wait for another post.

4 comments:

  1. OK Fred AS long as I was married to Ray He called me an okie said I cooked Okie food Now you are doing the same. I have never been in Oklahoma and to the best of my knowlege neither has any of my sisters. Our mother was from Kansas Our father was from Texas.We are good cooks may be plain food nothing fancy but good and good for you.I love you so therefore I do not put you or your life style down,maybe I'm a bit sentive but enough of the okie stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Frances. I don't notice that Fred's physique sufferd much from all that Okie food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. let's face it, Fred you love the Johnson girls
    who in the world is more fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to chuckle when I read your comment, Frances.This is the longest comment I've seen you post. GOOD FOR YOU...GIVE HIM HELL, Frances, GIVE HIM HELL...WAY TO GO :) I'm behind you all the way. I LOVE beans and ham hocks and I'm NOT an okie, either.
    Nice baby carrier, Betty. It's really cute. Almost makes me wish...NO...Gotta be careful what we wish for, right? I'm too old for that stuff.
    To be continued...???
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete