I hope everyone had a great 4th. As you know, Betty and I went to our friend Carole's hose to celebrate. She was expecting about 20 people but some failed to come which only meant they missed out on a very nice gathering. It also meant there were more leftovers from some great food. I do have to say, I had quite a bit of corn left over as I cooked 15 ears, which I broke in half, but Betty and I will eat what is left, as we love corn.
To clarify some information for my Cousin Pat, I paid $3 for 15 ears at Publics. When I went to the farmers market, the corn was priced a 3 ears for $1.25, and it wasn't that good looking. It had been picked over pretty well, but it also looked a little dried out. The corn at Publics was looked fresh for a super market, and I could get "Bread and Butter" corn (my favorite). I could have gone to that new French store that recently opened near us,Target, as it was 10 cents an ear there, but I didn't want to drive that far. I think I always compare corn prices to when I sold it for 50 cents per baker's dozen. I know that was a couple of years ago, but I can still hope can't I?
I have to say, and I'm not bragging (yes I am), the Peach-Pecan Upside Down Cake was a hit. And when you combined it with the Heavenly Banana Split Ice cream, ... Need I say more. Everyone that had some of the cake complimented me on it, which alway make a humble individual like myself feel good. Those of you that know how I like to try new recipes, i.e., LaDonna and Frances, and of course, Betty, know I have mixed results. But I have to say this cake is right up there with the Key Lime Mousse Cake. I'm not a real big fan of spice cake, except Carrot Cake, because they have a tendency to be dry. This cake is really moist and has wonderful flavor. As I said before, a keeper!
Just wanted to share a before and after shot of the Peach-Pecan Upside Down Cake so you could get an idea of how mosit it is:
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The cake looks like it was a hit you'll have to make one when you come over
ReplyDeleteYUM...did you save the rest of the cake for me? : ) The people that missed the party sure did miss the boat. You got a better deal on your corn than we get here. Bread and Better corn????
ReplyDeleteNever heard of it. Only white or yellow. My favorite "spice" cake is carrot cake also. Runs in the family?
C.P.