I only have photos of two of the memorials I considered the most spiritual and awe inspiring (I know I've used that statement numerous times, but believe me, there is no other way to describe them). The memorial I don't have photos of is the Viet Nam Memorial. When we visited the Viet Nam Memorial, no one was aloud to take photos because of the reverence of the memorial. Now you are allowed to take photos photos, with restrictions. I know you have seen photos of the personal tributes people have left for someone whose name is on the wall. Each and every tribute is special and is treated with the respect it deserves. One of the best things about the personal tributes, periodically, the park service removes the articles left, but does destroy or throw them away. There is a special building in the Smithsonian Complex that house all of the tributes that have been left. Since that was was time-frame in which I served proudly in the Army Security Agency, it has a special place in my heart, because the people of this country disrespected the men and women that served during the Viet Nam conflict. I know I had my share of verbal abuse from the "hippies" and low-lives upon returning from Korea on leave. I think the saddest part of the abuse is that most of the abuser are now college professors (except the ones that overdosed). Sorry about getting political, but it makes my blood boil thinking of how the Viet Nam Vet was treated.
The first memorial I saw in Washington, D.C., was the Iwo Jima Memorial. On the trip between Ft. Gordon and Ft. Meade, I stayed at the Iwo Jima Motel, right across the street from the memorial. This memorial depicts the raising of the Stars and Stripes on Mt. Suribachi, on the island of Iwo Jima, during WWII. The taking of the Pacific Islands were bloody steps toward Japan but the photo of the Marines raising the Flag, inspired everyone. If you didn't know, the actual photos was staged because the photographer had seen the original raising of the flag but did not get a picture of it and the men in the picture were not the Marines that reaised the first Flag. This memorial commemorates the courage and will power of the US during WWII.

Close -up of the sculpture

Another view

A closer view of the base with Amy
In reality, the most spiritual place in all of Washington, D.C., is Arlington National Cemetery, and specifically the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This very reverent piece of ground symbolizes the true American spirit by honoring those soldiers that will never be forgotten, even though their names are unknown. The men that stand guard over the Tomb of the Unknown, are some of the finest young men the in the US Army. There dedication is unmatched by anyone. A couple of years ago when a hurricane was going to pass over the DC area, the guards were given permission to not be at their post during the storm. Each and everyone of them refused and they were out in the storm performing their duties guarding the Unknowns. One of the most impressive ceremonies is the changing of the guards, but you are asked to refrain from taking photos during it, so that is why there is no photos of the changing of the guard.
There is actually three bodies interred in the Tomb. One each from WWI, WWII, and Viet Nam.

A guard marching his post.
From one side of the post to the other is 21 paces. The guard always has his weapon on the shoulder furthest from the Tomb. At the end of each to the 21 paces, the guard stops and counts a specific number of seconds, 21, there makes a 90 degree turned toward the Tomb.
He pauses another 21 seconds.
He does another 90 degree turn with another pause after shouldering his weapon on the appropriate shoulder, and then steps out to the side. Whenever the guard makes a military turn, it is always toward the Tomb.
Some people think that the JFK grave sight is just as inspiring as the ones I mentioned above, but I still think the three I 've mentioned and shown photos, are the most inspiring.
Taken in 1973 when we lived in Virginia.
That's all of Washington, D.C., and I'm not sure about posting over the next few days. It may be hit or miss, as we are picking up Amy and her roommate at the airport tonight. Yeah!





my what a handsome family. What a treat to see
ReplyDeleteso much of our nation.
First of all, welcome back, LaDonna. Have missed your comments.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say about today's post is:
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS. Keep them in our prayers.
C.P.