Waiting!
Waiting!
OK, now that you are all caught up, let's get on with the cruise. Out next stop was the island of Grenada, known as the spice island. This was the one island I was really looking forward to visiting. As you may recall, we, the US, invaded Grenada in 1982 to rescue the American students from St George's Medical School after there had been an overthrow of the elected government by Communist sympathizers, with the help of Cuba. The exiled government ask us to help and with US students trapped on the island, President Reagan sent in the troops. One of my favorite movies, "Heartbreak Ridge" with Clint Eastwood, deals with Grenada. I was mainly interested on the feelings of the Grenadians(?) towards the US. Boy, was I surprised. They are overwhelmingly pro US because of what we did. We had "contracted with" a taxi van to show us around the island and the driver was so positive towards us and the US. I was able to talk in great length with him at one point and he just expounded on how grateful the majority of the people were. It was a great experience to have someone re-enforce our actions. One thing he wonder which I thought was profound, was why did we give up the Panama Canal. I have thought that for years but then you just have to look at who did it, "smiling" Jimmy Carter. Enough said.
Both Betty and I agree that Grenada was the prettiest island we visited. Our taxi tour took us all around and I took some great photos. In fact, I took so many it may be up to three days of posts before we leave the island. So lets get started with the photos.
As I've stated in previous posts, I love the ocean, cloud formations and animal photos, so the next few photos will reflect that.
Well, I guess I'll stop for today. Since I've given you a teaser maybe you'll come back tomorrow and see if I got any further. So, as they say here in the South, "Bye!"
No comments:
Post a Comment