Enough ancient history. Today, I want to clarify a misconception you might have formed from previous posts. In all of my previous posts about New York, I always showed the snow and cold, but I have to tell you, there were different times of the year when it was beautiful. When you live in a clime that truly has "four seasons" there is some spectacular sights. So today, I'm going to post pictures of our home in New York in the Spring/Summer seasons.
Front of houseOur house was what was called a typical center entry Colonial. When you entered, you encountered the stairs leading to the second floor; to the left was the living room; to the right was a small "powder room" and then the dining room. On the other side of the wall of the stairs was the family room with an open kitchen to the right. There was a deck off the family room accessed by sliding doors and a fireplace in the corner. Just off the kitchen was a pantry and a door leading to the garage. Upstairs there was four bedrooms and two baths. I think the negatives for Betty were the stairs as her MS progressed, and the cold.
Walkway to entranceThe walkway to the entrance of the house comes off the driveway. When we first moved into the house, there were low hedges on the streetside of the walkway, which needed removing, which, as you can see, I did.
HostasPrior to turning onto the stoop, I planted hostas. I have to say, hostas are one of my favorite perenials. They are varied in color and when they bloom, they are gorgeous. They're gorgeous even when not in bloom. They need a cold clime to grow, even though there are hostas that supposedly grow here in Florida.
Flowering Cherry TreeThis is what we saw every Spring when we looked out the front of the house. When this tree was in bloom, it was spctacular.
Back of housethis photo shows the back of the house with the deck and access to the garage. I planted a rose garden to the right of the deck.
Rose gardenNo explaination needed.
We had a huge tree in this spot when we first moved into the house, but we had a windstorm after a heavy rain, and the tree blew down. After I cut it up, I still had a stump, so I planted a little garden, making the stump part of it. I think it came out pretty well. One thing about it, I had planted tulip and other early Spring bulbs in this garden, and along the base of the deck, and when there was still a little snow on the ground and these beautiful flowers were in bloom, you knew Spring was truly just around the corner. Be sure to notice, unlike the West Coast where the first thing people do is put up a privacy fence, there is no fences between properties.
This is the view we had from our deck toward the back of our lot. Right at the treeline, was a small little creek that ran only in Spring as the snow melted. Behind that was a farmers field. He would grow field corn and every year, I would pick a couple of bushel of it so I could have them for the squirrels during the winter.
I've rambled enough. I hope that this may clarify a misconception you may have gleaned from previous posts. Granted, the lifestyle in New York is different form where we were reared, but every local has something to offer.
OK FRED HERE GOES I LOVE THE HOUSE YOU GUYS HAD IN NEW YORK THE CHERRY TREE IS SO PRETTY AND ALL THE PLANTS VERY NICE. I WISH I COULD GO TO THE BEACH AGAIN I DON'T WANT TO HUNT GRUNION JUST FEEL THE SAND BETWEEN MY TOES.
ReplyDelete