Today is going to be a short post and is going to be about something I have never mentioned. One of my favorite things to do is read. I like books by Tom Clancy, James Herriott, and Agatha Christie the best. I do read some political books (not as many as I used to) and of course, James Patterson and John Grisham.
Well, Amy introduced us to another author named Rhys Bowen. She has written 3 different series, about all are about either Wales, England, or the Irish in America. I personally think the Constable Evans series is the best. It is about a police constable in a small Wales village and in many ways is similar to Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. Miss Marple lives in a small English village named Saint Mary-Mead, and Miss Marple uses her powers of observation to help solve crime, whether in her village or elsewhere in England. Constable Evans also lives in a small village named Llanfair. And although all the crime he handles occur in his village or surrounding area, his powers of deduction are quite similar to Miss Marple.
The other two series Miss Bowen rights, just doesn't hold my interest as well. She has written 7 books in the Molly Murphy series, about an Irish immigrant that comes to New York and starts a detective agency. And she has just started a series (2 books) about a young women that is 36th in line for the crown that solves mysteries in London. If you get a chance, pick one Rhys Bowen's books up and see if you like her writing.

Constable Evans series in back. The two Royal series books on the left front, and only one of the Molly Murphy books on the front right. I only have two Molly Murphy books and Betty is reading the other one.
As I said previously, I am a big Agatha Christie fan (along with millions of others). In addition, I am a big BBC fan. The combination of Christie and BBC have produced some of the best mystery movies you can watch. Agatha Christie's two most famous detectives are Miss Marple, of course, and Hercule Poirot. When the BBC produced Christie's works for television, they found the quintessential Miss Marple, Joan Hickman, and Hercule Poirot, David Suchet. There have been many great actors that have played those two characters, but none comes even close to these two individual in capturing the true essence of the characters. To that end, I have to tell you, I have every Poirot and Miss Marple movie, with David Suchet and Joan Hickman, BBC ever produced. These movies are great entertainment and even though I have seen them multiple times, they are still fresh.

Poirot movies on the left (2 boxes) and right (3 boxes) and the 12 individual DVD's in front. Miss Marple is in the back and Nero Wolf is between Poirot and Miss Marple. Each DVD has multiple episodes on them, for the most part.
Another series that was on TV for to short of a time, was Nero Wolf, with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin. I was lucky enough to find that series on sale at Amazon.com, so I jumped at the chance to purchase it. I have not completed all of the DVD's, but I am really enjoying them. What makes this series so unique is all episodes, the same actors are in it. they play different parts, except of Inspector Kramer.
If you ever want to have an enjoyable evening, either rent or purchase any to the DVD's I mentioned. I'm sure you won't regret it.
By the way, we're happy to have you back C.P.
I kniow this post was really different but sometimes you have to do something out of character.
Hi Pat. Its good to hear from you. As you can see we lead an exciting life reading books and watching movies but we have fun and we're entertained.
ReplyDeleteSorry I missed yesterday, but I was helping a friend with arrangements for her mom.
ReplyDeleteGlad to be back and Hi to you Betty.
I'll try to do better.
Me? I like TV, such as "Murder She Wrote". Always try to watch the reruns. Do have some on DVD's. And, of coarse, there's ALWAYS Law & Order. Haven't done much reading the past few years, don't know why, other than the fact I didn't have much time while taking care of Red and I just didn't get back into it. However, I do like myteries.
Miss your blog today, Saturday.
C.P.