Monday, February 23, 2009

The Boat

Today, I thought I would discourse a little about my boat. I had been looking for a pontoon boat for some time but couldn't find one that Betty really liked. Well, there was a boat show in Daytona Beach and some of our friends went to it and purchased a boat. When Betty rode in it, she was hooked and suggested we go to the dealer and take a look. To make a long story short, we found what we were looking for. However, we were scheduled to go to California so we asked if we could pick it up a later date, to which the dealer agreed. When we returned, I called the dealer and was told, "There is some bad news and there is some good news. The bad news is I sold your boat to someone who wanted immediate delivery and I knew I had time to order another one for you. The good news is you are getting next years model, with more features." The problem was we wanted the boat before Thanksgiving because we had friends coming and our boat wouldn't be in until after. They had a "green" one but since our friends had purchased a green one, Betty didn't want the same color. But, after we saw the "green" one, we took it.

Anyway, I was teaching a class on Mammography at the time, so the members of my class purchased a life ring, they all signed it and named the boat the S.S. Mammo (see picute below). Of course, Betty didn't go for that. When our friends (Gaylord & Betty Struve. Gay was the director of training for the company where I trained for Kodak) came for Thanksgiving, we went for a boat ride and I relayed the name to Betty S. She thought is kind of funny but Gay said since "my" Betty didn't like the name, I should name it "Thanks for the Mammories". I of course thought it was great, but "my" Betty was ready to throw Gay overboard.

The Life Ring
Be sure to catch the name

Mr Struve
Gay was the first individual Betty and I met when we came to Florida to see if we wanted to move here. He an his wife, Betty, became very good friends. They have since moved back to Houston from whence they came.


The two Betty's enjoying the boat.

The S.S. Mammo
or
Thanks for the Mammories

How was this for a nothing story.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty good story. Keep 'um comin'.
    Can't say I blame "your" Betty.

    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good story Fred it's nice to know how your boat came to you and Betty Hi Pat Good comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi back at you Frances. Have a good day.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. stories are always so good for the family, that's how we did it in the old days. love it

    ReplyDelete