When I was a lad (a couple of years ago), we lived across the street from a family named Pinkerton. They had a son named Alan that was my age and we were "best" friends. The Pinkerton's were quite wealthy being that Mrs. Pinkerton was a McKevett. Anyway, they were members of the Ojai Valley Country Club and one summer Johnny Weissmuller, who "lived" there at that time, was teaching member's children how to swim. Whenever Mrs. Pinkerton wanted Alan to participate in an activity, she always included me as she knew Alan would then do it. So, she enrolled Alan and me in the swimming class and that is how "Tarzan" taught me to swim. See I told you it wasn't really much of a story! You will also notice there is no picture accompaning this story as I don't have any of me in a swimming suit as a lad, and you certainly don't want to see me in a swimming suit now.
Since I'm relating stories about myself, I'll include another quick one. Some people may know that my sister Doris was somewhat of a "tom-boy" and did some things that got her in trouble. Well, one day when I was very young, a toddler, she was supposed to watch me while my mother did something else. It seems she really didn't want to do that so to solve her problem, she nailed me to the front porch so she could go play. Of course, she was punished for her actions but not before my Dad took a picture of me nailed to the porch. Having scanned the original into my computer, I have included it in this post.
"Boy, what a cute little guy!!"
You have to look closely but you can see the blanket wrapped around my waist and it was then nailed to the porch so I couldn't get loose. I have been traumatized for the rest of my life because of that experience.
You have to look closely but you can see the blanket wrapped around my waist and it was then nailed to the porch so I couldn't get loose. I have been traumatized for the rest of my life because of that experience.

I hope you enjoyed todays post and I promise not to bore you with things like this again.
The Pickertons name sure took me back to the days when we all lived in Santa paula.
ReplyDeleteVery nice to have some history on you Thanks
Cute picture I'm glad you found it so we could see you nailed to the porch.I'll bet Doris just loves for you to tell this story.Hey Pat no telling what we may find out on this blog
ReplyDeleteWell, I think that's a pretty interesting story, no matter what you think. It's not too many "lads" that can say they were taught to swim by a five time Olympic gold medalist. By the way, who said we wouldn't want to see you in a swim suit now? :) Not me...
ReplyDeleteDoris was an inventive kind of gal. Keeping her little brother in line. Knowing you, you needed to be kept in line.
Yes, Frances, I'm as curious as you are to see what we can find out on this blog. Hope he "bores" us with more. Come on, Freddie, let's have some more "boring" stories. Love them.
C.P.
Forgot to tell you, yesterday, that I think you were a cute little lad. :)
ReplyDeleteC.P.