Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Friends - Part II

Most people that know me, know I like to "kibitz" my friends and relatives, sometimes to an excess according to Betty. The thing is, everyone also knows that I love it when they "get" me back. The old saying "If you dish it out you better be able to take it!" is alive and well in my persona. Anyway, you will see in the following pictures that it was my turn to "take it" from my friends. As I mentioned yesterday, people are important to me and having them gather at my house makes me happy. The reason we had a retirement celebration was to have the gathering, not to receive gifts, but our friends took the opportunity to let me know what retirement means. At least as it pertains to age.

So let's see what transpired. I will clarify what is going on.

This is Shirlee (I was informed her name is spelled ShirLEE, not ShirLIE) handing me a beautifully wrapped gift. The wrapping was a black trash bag, which I don't know if there was any significance to that or not.
The trash bag contained the Boogy Board seen in the forfront, something I"ll really use (that was sarcasm). I had also received the "Old Dude" hat from Bill and Shirlee.
The first time I met Neil (see yesterdays post) was on the golf course. He and Marti were in one cart and Skip and I in the other. As I noted yesterday, Neil is a die-hard Florida Gators fan. He had on a Gators hat, sox, and a Gators logo on his shirt. His golf bag is also Orange and Blue, Florida's colors with th logo imprinted on it. He and Marti were in front of us going to the next hole, so when we stopped, I asked Neil to drive behind us from now on. He was concerned that we were getting hit with flying debris but I informed him it was because I didn't want to look at his Gator golf bag for 18 holes. That of course, set off an ongoing "back and forth". You can't really see in the picture, but the golf balls in my hand have a Gator logo on them, compliments of Neil and Marti.

This is a model of a "woody" built by Bob (face obscured). When Bob retired he took up model building and he made the "woody" for me so I could remember my youth. I have is on the shelf in my office just for that purpose.

I recieved some other really nice gifts, Old Guys rules T-Shirts and hat, but this T-shirt describes my phylosophy to a "T". For those of you that know me the best, I'm sure you will agree. You can't see the first word, which is RETIREMENT, but the rest is so true.

As you can see, Betty and I have a number of wonderful friends here in Bulow. And even though we don't get to "see" our real family as much as we would like, these friends are our Bulow family.

No post tomorrow. Annual physical time.

3 comments:

  1. Yes Fred-Betty you do have some great friends and we were fortunate enough to meet some of them when visiting you.Say hello from Ray -Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Betty are so blessed to have so many great friends. However, I think it "takes one to know one". :) I'm sure they think the same of you and Betty. Showed your picture to Frank, my oldest son, and his comment??? "He looks the same, always smiling"...
    Good luck tomorrow and keep smilin'...
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it they say Friends welcome Family by invitaion.

    ReplyDelete