Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Dog

I have opined about both Betty's and my families, but I have yet to share with you very special members of our family. Yes, I'm talking about our dogs. I say dogs, because at one time we did have two beautiful little dogs, but sadly we now only have one.

When our family first came back to California, a neighbor of my parents, and an old classmate of mine, gave Daryl a puppy, which he named PoPo. We had Popo for a number of years until she got loose in Bakersfield one day, and ate some poisoned meat somewhat had left out. The kids were devastated, so we found a pretty little cocker spaniel, but sadly, she didn't fit well with our lifestyle so we had to give to another family. Well, that was the last dog we had for a number of years. You have to realize, I was raised with dogs as a pet and I really believe it is good for youngsters to have an animal to interact with.

Anyway, we were without a dog for a number of years, until Amy finally broke Betty's resistance and she said we could get "a small, non-shedding dog, if she liked it." Well, it didn't take long for Amy and I to find one. We were looking for a Shitz Tsu, when we found an add for Lhasa Apsos. When Amy saw "Princess" it was love at first sight. After Betty saw her, she also agreed to purchasing her. Well, when we registered Princess, Amy named her "Ewok Princess Kenesa", after the little white ewok in Star Wars, because she looked just like it. When the papers arrived back from the AKC, we found out the bitches registered name was "Ewok Princess of Kayles". We actually didn't know prior to that. This all transpired around 1987/1988.

Anyway, in the late '90's, Betty suggested we get another Lhasa, to keep Princess company and perhaps extend her life. So, we got Kujo. When we first got her, I called our vet and said I was bringing both Princess and Kujo in for a check-up. When I got to the vet, they thought I was "mean" naming her Kujo, as they expected a Saint Bernard puppy and she was just a handful. Now you have to understand, the two dogs had opposite personalities. Princess was a true princess. She was somewhat aloof but very much a loving dog. Kujo on the other hand was a little "terror" but also very loving. Being a loving dog is very strong with Lhasas. In '03, Princess was having trouble breathing and in pain, so after seeing the x-ray, I made the decision to have her euthanised. I will tell you, that was one of the hardest things I have had to do, but what made it even more difficult, was I had to call Amy in Olympia and inform her. Princess was her dog and she loved her very much.

So, here are our babies. I only have one picture of Princess by herself, at least that I have found yet.


Princess and Kujo on couch

Betty, Princess and Kujo

Kujo, the puppy.

Santa (?)
When I showed this picture to Kujo, she ran from the room, afraid I would dress her up like that.

You haven't seen the last of the dogs, but that's all for today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for animals I know I would have loved Princess as much as I do Kujo I've always had cats and dogs in my home and dearly love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIR YOUR DOGS ARE BETTER LOOKING THAN YOU. ANONYMOUE.FROM LIZARD LAND

    ReplyDelete