Sunday, March 22, 2009

Grandma Hitchcock

As I stated in yesterdays post, I have been scanning old pictures into the computer for posterity. As I was scanning, Betty picked up a picture of my Grandma Hitchcock and said, "I can't believe how much Donna looked like your Grandmother!" So that got me thinking that I have opined on my mother's parents but never on my father's. Obviously, I have barely scratched the surface on my maternal grandparents, but I wanted to introduce you to my paternal grandmother. And today you will meet her.

I didn't know my paternal grandfather as he had died prior to my birth. I will include pictures of him on another post, but I want to concentrate on Grandma Hitchcock today. For most of my life, Grandma Hitchcock lived on Pleasant Street, near McKevett School. So, I would get to see her everyday I walked to school. My Aunt Jeannie and Uncle Earl also lived there until they died. At that time, my folks built a small apartment in back of our house and Grandma Hitchcock moved into that until she also died in 1965. At the time of her death, she was 87, which quite frankly, seems to be the norm of her family lineage.

All I need to say about Grandma Hitchcock is, she was a grand lady! That says it all. She was one of the kindest, most caring people I know. The day she died, she knew her time was near, but she wanted to see her kids and grand-kids at least one more time, and she did. When the para-medics came to take her to the hospital, she knew she would not be coming back to her house, so she wouldn't let them take her on the gurney, but asked me to carry her to the ambulance. You cannot believe all that I felt as I carried her to that vehicle.

Grandma Hitchcock
This picutre was taken in 1963, when she was 85.

1954
She was only about 76 here.

1953
A year younger.

At 36 in 1914
This is the picture Betty saw and made the statement about Donna.
Look at Donna's picture in the March 14th post

1898
A 20 year old beauty

I hope you enjoyed meeting my grandmother. As I said before, she was a GRAND LADY!

3 comments:

  1. Yes Fred I agree with Betty Donna did look like your grandmother. Thanks again for the pictures, I love looking at them and the information about them

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just amazing all the photos you have of your family and what beautiful condition they are in. I wish we had more pictures of the Johnson's and Underwoods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir you must really be old.

    ReplyDelete