Monday, April 27, 2009

The Further Adventures of Daryl

I have scanned more slides into the computer so I can post them, but I have to tell you I'm a little disappointed with the results. It is obvious that my slide scanner is not a professional model so there are limitation to the quality of the slide. When you scan a slide, you lose definition of the picture, especially the color. Then when you attempt to fix the problem a loss of focus can occur. On the bright side, you can still enjoy the pictures.

The first few pictures were taken many years ago when Daryl was just a "wee little guy". I think you will enjoy seeing them and then I will move forward through his life.


Betty holding Daryl
This was taken in the housing area of Howard AFB in Panama. We didn't live there, but were visiting friends. We lived down the road in what was called "sub-standard" military housing. It was considered sub-standard because it was tropical housing, not the new brick units, and was older. Still very nice living.


Daryl and me
Again from Panama. This time standing in front of Gatun Locks when we were on a picnic.


His favorite chair.
Daryl loved this chair and we had it for many years until it finally split. I'm not sure, but I think we still had it when Amy was a baby. We had purchased the chair at a village market in El Valle, which is north of Panama City. Supposedly, it is the only place in the world that has "Golden Frogs". Anyway, we were at this market and saw the chair. It was handmade out of a tropical hardwood, such as teak, with the back and seat one piece of hand-tooled leather about a quarter inch thick. The seller wanted $20 for because we were "rich Americans" but I continued to barter and finally paid $6 for it. I really think I got the best of the deal, and I'm sure Daryl did, as he loved to sit an read in that chair.


Daryl with fish at Green Creek
This is the obligatory fish picture. As I have posted before, we used to go fishing at Green Creek on the Western Sierras, and always enjoyed to experience. Daryl was a really good little fisherman and this picture is him showing his catch for the day.


Daryl and Amy in field.
We have a number of pictures with Daryl and Amy, both professionally taken and ones I have taken. This is one of my favorites, not only for the content but for the circumstances surrounding it. We had taken a somewhat extended vacation with the kids, going up to "My Place", then Redwoods Ntl Park, and then we traveled down the coast. We stopped a numerous places and this particular picture was taken on one of the stops when we had taken a walk to the beach. I just think it shows the love the kids have for each other.


Driving Boat
I may have posted this picture before, I don't really remember and I wasn't going to check. I just hink it really shows the character of Daryl. You can tell by the picture he has his "stuff" together. A very dynamic picture in my opinion.

That's all for today, but stay tuned for more. Who knows what the furture holds for The Florida Branch.

Almost forgot! Doug passed his state licencing exam on Saturday with flying colors. He is now a full-fletched, honest to goodness Psychologist. He doesn't have to work under the license of another Psychologist and his patients are his and his alone. We are very proud of him.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed these pictures I love the one of Daryl reading in his chair and him and Amy in the field.Thumbs UP to you Doug we are proud of you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all love the past. You and Betty were so young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FREEDY WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU? YOU ARE SKINNY IN THESE PICS.AND BETTY STILL LOOKS GREAT. WHERE DID YOU GO WRONG? YOU KNOW WHO....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little guy and a handsome adult.
    WAY TO GO, Doug. We're all so happy for you.
    And did "Freddie the cook" fry those fish, that Daryl caught, for dinner? Really love all those pictures of everyone you have in your archives. You're a real archivist. You must have a room, put aside, just to store all of those photos. Probably won't hear from me for a couple of days, as I'm going up north for a few days...Leaving tomorrow after I have my blood test. So don't worry, Betty :) I know I'll have some "catching up" to do, when I return.
    Good morning, Frances, LaDonna and Mr. A.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm catching up on blogs. If I were Amy, i'd be feeling a little slighted right now. :) I think we all know who your faovite is. haha

    ReplyDelete