Sunday, April 26, 2009

Side Track

I know I started a post about Daryl yesterday to continue today, but I came across some new photos I had to share with you. Everyone that follows The Florida Branch, and contributes with comments, has already been introduced, except one. So guess who that one is? You are correct. It is C.P. That's right, I have posted pictures of everyone else that have numerous comments except my cousin Pat. So today, I am going to introduce to the world of The Florida Branch my cousin Pat.

I finally was able to start scanning slides yesterday, and I came across the following. I really don't know when it was taken but it was some years ago. I will let you in on a little secret. This picture will not be the last one of my cousin, as I'm just getting started with my scanning and I know more are going to become available.


Pat and Aunt Mary



Asher Sperry Civil War Record
A caligraphic record of Asher Sperry's military career including all battles and skirmishes he participated in. If you look closely, you will see his picture on the upper left and right corners, with all the information below. Not only is it a valuable part of our family, but it is truly a work of art. Asher Sprerry was my great-great-great Grandfather and my cousin Pat's great-great grandfather. Those of you that have visited our home have seen this hanging in the family room. I am very proud to be the keeper of this document. It was given to me by my Grandmother Madge as I was the oldest boy in her linage, therefore it was my responsibility. The sad part is it got some water damage prior to my receiving it and the original frame was destroyed. I had it re-framed with museum quality glass and have proudly displayed it since.


Great-Great-Great Grandpa Sperry, with Great-Great Grandma Duprey and my Great Aunt Mary (Pat's mother) and someone named Bud Oliver.
Based on this information, you can tell Pat is my second cousin.

I hope everyone enjoyed the introduction to my cousin, especially Pat. Back to Daryl tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Neat to see Pat. Your family goes have a lot of history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fred it's nice to meet Pat I think we would get along great.What do you think Pat he sliped you in so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late today, as I just returned from lunch with some friends. Turned on the computer and
    O.M.G...under which rock did you find that picture of me??? I'm about half the size I was then (one advantage to getting old)...short hair and WRINKLES. Oh well, everyone has to get old, right? However, you said you had MORE??? BE NICE....... or I'll renege on the suggestion to proclaim a "be nice to Freddie" day : )
    Great to see the war record of Great-Grampa Sperry. I had wondered where it went. Glad it went to you as I can see that you treasure it and give it a nice home. I have his civil war discharge and also a tin type picture of him in uniform. I display those together. When we used to go to the cemetary, in Dixon, my thing was putting the flowers on his and Great-Grandma Temperance's grave. Neat names, Asher and Temperance, huh. Typical civil war era. BOY, THIS IS GETTING LONG...That "someone" named Bud Oliver is also your cousin, I guess it would be your third cousin? Getting a little confusing, isn't it...He is the son of Aunt Gladys, your grandma and my moms sister. She was the middle girl in the Duprey family. She died of toxemia, either during childbirth or shortly thereafter. Don't really know which or who raised Buddy. I don't recall ever knowing him but I do remember Mom and my brother Jack talking about him. It's really a shame we don't pay more attention to all of these stories when we're young.
    HINDSIGHT...
    Gotta go...
    Hi LaDonna and Frances. I think we'd get along great also.
    Remember, Freddie, BE NICE.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. That picture of me and Mom??? Could it have been taken at Aunt Madge and Uncle Freds
    50th anniversary party? Just a guess after noticing the "golden" flowers on the table.
    C.P.

    ReplyDelete